The George Howard Ferguson House
- Designed by the architectural firm, Wright and Nixon, the original house was built in 1930
- The original brick house is a typical example of the Domestic Georgian Rivival style popular in Toronto in 1930.
- It is finely proportioned in common bond brick, trimmed in stone with balanced roof and distinctive dormers.
- Important elements also include the first floor bay and bow windows, and the small paired casement windows with recessed panels under the sill.
The entrance porch is finely executed in brick with stone trim and iron grillwork.
The house was built for George Howard Ferguson, Premier of Ontario from 1923 to 1930 and Canada's High Commissioner to London from 1930 to 1935.
The house was a gift from his friends when he retired as Premier of Ontario
In 1946 George Howard Ferguson died of a heart attack and his wife remained in the house until her death in 1957.
Two years later the Toronto Public Library bought the building.
- On April 18, 1959, Sir Ernest MacMillan formally opened the late premier's house as the Music Library of Metropolitan Toronto.
- An extension was designed by architects, James A Murray and Henry Fliess in 1967.
- The Interior of the house still has many of its beautiful features: marble fireplaces, high ceilings, staircases and paneled walls.
In 1977 the Music library moved to the Metro Library and the house was put up for sale by the city.
In 1987, the city of Toronto recongnized 555 Avenue Rd. for its architectural value and historic interest.
In 1993, the Korean Consulate moved into this historical landmark.
The G.H. Ferguson House is an important local landmark as it is the only surviving representative of the large homes on Avenue Road between St. Clair and Upper Canada College.